header
 photo home_zpse090974e.png photo thewife_zpsa4363e88.png photo thefamily_zpsdfe41317.png photo spendingfast_zps74a9de92.png photo contact_zps4699e230.png

Loving Lately {*winter edition*}

These are a few of my favorite things this time of the year, none of this is sponsored because I'm cool like that!

1. Advent Focus

I wanted to finish my Christmas shopping this year before December 1st so I would have the headspace to really enjoy Advent and focus on the "reason for the season." Some years I feel like Christmas flies by and I am stressed and never seem to get anything done. Christmas Eve I am still wrapping gifts in a bedroom while company is over and I'm just hungry and tired and want everyone to leave. I love being around our family and I love celebrating Jesus' birth and it is hard for me to enjoy those things when I am distracted and still busy finishing things up.

I am using this book this season as my devotional and am really loving it so far!



2. These earrings


A friend shared these the other day and I ordered right away and love them!

I am not a big jewelry person, definitely not into sparkly or heavy metals-- these leather feather earrings fit my light and fun requirements!

3. Monat Hair Care


So yes maybe you have seen a zillion things about this on Facebook, the hype is true! I was afraid to try Monat because I had a bad experience with Wen when that was popular. After trying tons of hair products I have been a committed Pureology user for years but after having kids my hair is worse than ever because they suck the life out of me!

This stuff really is wonderful. I have been washing and conditioning with it since September and have seen a. my hair grow, a lot b. my color stay a cool blonde even months after getting it highlighted and not turning brassy per usual c. my scalp gets so itchy, like I have frequent dreams about having lice and make Husband check for critters on the regular-- this has healed it! I have a bunch of wonderful friends that sell it so e-mail me if you're wanting to try and don't have a rep.

4. This foundation


I still love my Younique concealer but this foundation is beautiful! I like that it shows my imperfections still and I don't look airbrushed. It is so light and even moisturizing. I love how it applies and evens my skin tone. New favorite!


5. Christmas cards


Thank you to everyone who sends these out, it is for sure a labor of love! This year I so debated about doing it, so many expenses at Christmas from gifts, to decorations, plus all the pounds of butter so I can make myself cookies. But I really enjoy getting each card and hanging them up so I took the plunge and got a deal on some at Minted (they address them for me too!). This is how we display ours:

6. These bars for breakfast


If you are gluten-free or paleo and need a simple high protein breakfast, these are my new obsession! We buy them at Costco. They are basically just nuts and coconut oil. My only complaint is they are pretty high in fat so I eat half of one each day on the way to taking the kids to school!

7. Hand cream


Ugh the dryness has begun so has flu season and washing my hands a hundred times a day aggravates my skin! I can't sleep at night if my hands are dry, I just lay there feeling uncomfortable and start to get pissed at my hubby that we don't live somewhere warmer! This lotion has been my go-to ever since I stole it from my mom three years ago. It is also my favorite gift to give because it is a little expensive and people might not be apt to buy it for themselves on the reg!

8. Hot drink


It has taken me 15 years to find a latte I love. I'd rather drink pureed brussels sprouts than a pumpkin spice latte! I used to drink mocha lattes with half syrup because I don't love sugary sweet drinks but I think the chocolate upsets my stomach.
So this drink is perfect to me, and low on calories: an almond milk latte with one packet of raw sugar

9. Kids Clothes


Okay so I am going to tread lightly on this one but since I shop so much for my kiddos, I have started to consider where their clothes come from. Are they made in the US, are they made in a sweatshop, are they made with harsh dyes and chemicals? I am not perfect on this. I have always been a faithful devotee to my Gap credit card and their sales but don't love what I've read about their manufacturing.

Colored Organics makes their clothes in the US and up to 50% of their profits go to fund an orphanage in India. Not only is their platform beautiful but also their clothes are! I am just a big fan of buying simple cottons for my kids and their leggings, long sleeve shirts, dresses, and onesie pajamas hold up well with my rough and tumble bunch! We are hard on our clothes and things get washed A LOT, so far these are great.

Also they have good sales! And always 20% off your first order.

10. Sneaky Pete

I never want to try new shows, I get stuck in a rut because I never think anything will be as good as the last show we watched-- but once I get into something, I'm hooked. Mike convinced me to try this on Amazon Prime and even though I was a little lost the first or two episodes, it became our favorite. Such a smart show with great acting-- Now I'm so sad it's over, who else loved this?

Easy Chicken Parmesan Recipe

Why does parmesan always look like it's spelled wrong? Tell me if it is! My sister and I always talk about how this is our husbands' favorite dish which is ironic because we never ate it once growing up! But now we're both figuring out the best way to make chicky-chicky-parm-parm (anyone know this Parks and Recs reference?!) and I think I figured it out the other day:

1. Whisk two eggs in one bowl, and on a plate mix equal parts bread crumbs (we use the Schar gluten free ones) and powdered parmesean cheese. Add in your seasonings (I usually do some combo of Italian seasoning, garlic salt, and pepper)

2. I don't ever have time to pound my chicken breasts flat, who is doing this? What kind of little kitchen mallet are you using? The very thought cracks me up! I just filet each one in half to get two thin chicken breasts.

3. Take each chicken breast, and dip it in the BREADCRUMBS FIRST, then the egg, then THE BREADCRUMBS AGAIN (per sister, and she's right, its the best!)

4. Sauté in 2 tbs olive oil heated with 2 tbs butter, until each side is lightly browned

5. Put some marinara in your baking dish, then put in the chicken, next a little more marinara sauce on top of the chicken, and last cover your chicken with some cheese to your liking.

6. Bake until chicken is heated through at 375 degrees, it depends on how thin you filet it, I usually allow 15 minutes.

While chicken is baking, boil some pasta, drain it, and quickly add warmed marinara sauce to that as well. We serve this with my favorite roasted broccoli! (broccoli chopped, tossed with a combo of olive oil, fresh garlic, salt/pepper, and a teaspoon of lemon juice, then roasted for 15 minutes at 400 degrees )

Yum! Hope you're having a joyful and cozy start to your December.


2 comments:

  1. Love this! Are you dry all over like me?? I need to know to see if I’m going to try that foundation. 😁 Also though I have a few years on you and I don’t know how excited I am about seeing my “imperfections” these days LOL! Even though overall I do want to embrace where God has me including the age! Anyway, if your hands get super super dry, like almost borderline eczema like mine, you really need to try Okeefes working hands. Put it on several times a day, preferably every time you wash hands, and you will never struggled with dry skin again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, dry all over! I am a big fan of using actual OIL when I get out of the shower. Like I am about to be on a boat in the Mediterranean or something. But then I am so confused as to why all my clothes have little oil stains on them? The foundation is great but I still need a hearty dose of my daily moisturizer to make sure it goes on smooth. It is more moisturizing than anything else I've tried though, and so light and airy! I will check out Okeefes, I need to stock up because #iowa :/

      Delete

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips